My (virtual) life is my message. - Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Note For My Best Friend: Please Read

To My Best Friend in All the World:

You say that you are down, and that the world has become a dark and hopeless place for you.  I'm standing outside the shadows looking in at you, worried, offering my hand, but I think it may be too dark for you to see even that.  I don't know what to do, except write this letter and send it in to you.  I hope it finds it's way, and the words maybe can give you just enough light for you to see your way back to me.

And here is a secret I learned about darkness; it's only an illusion.  I know you may think I don't understand the depth of your personal nightmare, and maybe I don't, but I have been in some pretty black places myself.  I've lain in the center of the universe as one insignificant, despised and unloved speck of human waste, washed in hatred, anger and disgust.  It's not a nice place.  And it's only an illusion.

The bars of your prison are painted on the inside of your eyelids.  They look so real, they feel so real and your mind is positive they are real.  They were put there by the world and all it's imposed limitations; the same world that says pretty girls are skinny and blond, heroes are handsome and boys can't cry.  Every time you agree with what that world says, you lend it power to strengthen your cage. 

Why the world tells such lies I don't know, but I suspect it has to do with money.  None of us are perfect, but the world sells us such an artificial and unrealistic limbo bar of a standard.  I say limbo bar because they tell us we should attain their mark to find happiness, and yet they continually lower that bar down on our heads until we are flat on our back and defeated.  No matter how much we pluck and starve and tan and bleach and work and buy and polish and dye... we can't win.  The limbo bar always comes down on us.

The world doesn't love you.  It's a battleground out here.  The world wants us to all lie down and accept the status quo, living behind our closed eyes and doing what we are told.  The world seems kind, it gives us things to distract us from our supposed lack of worth... television, alcohol, drugs, food, games... but they only reinforce their message while entertaining us.  The world wants us to stay huddled in our prisons.  In our solitary prisons we must continually try to buy happiness, and the world wants to be our sole supplier.

I hope this note reaches you, and that you still have enough light to read by.  If you can read these words, I just ask you to do one thing for me, as your best friend, as a favor.  Please, just open your eyes and look for a minute at the real world outside your prison.  Open your eyes and look, with an open mind, and see the truth.

I hope you will see a homely child grinning on a playground, wearing cheap and worn hand-me-downs; too plump and grown to be considered baby cute anymore and just entering the gangly era of puberty.  This child isn't witty, isn't pretty, doesn't sing well, doesn't play well with others.  The only thing this particular child has going for it is that they opened their eyes and looked beyond what they were told, and they saw the truth the world wants to hide.  The truth that everyone else is a homely child too, and that is just fine. 

I know you don't believe me, and you want to toss this letter away, so just bear with me for another minute.  Look through that same homely child's eyes for just a minute with an open mind and see what they see, and I hope you understand.  Through that child's eyes you can see the most beautiful people in the world, and I bet not a one of them would pass the world's criteria.

Look at them with your own eyes open now.  You will see the big thing the world wants to keep hidden from you; that you are beautiful just as you are, and so is everyone else.  You probably think I'm saying this because you are my best friend in the world and that's why I think you are beautiful, but it's really just fact.  There's a funny true saying I heard, "God don't make ugly", so unless you have Mattel melted in the back of your neck I feel pretty confident that I'm right.

I hope you maybe realize now that you don't need to do anything at all to earn worth except love yourself as you are.  You're done now, come out of the oven and play.  People say love is blind, but I think it's more like x-ray vision.  We can see us as we really are.  Just a bunch of gangly kids on the play ground trying to have fun, perfect as is, right now.

❤.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤ ❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤
You found me! Now post your sl name
In the comments to get your prize sent.
If you found this by accident go to the
Blog Hunt tab to find out how to play.
❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤❤¸.•*""*•.¸❤

2 comments:

  1. You have the most amazing way with words that cuts right to the heart of things, i love it, and you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting my day off on a warm note :)

    ReplyDelete