My (virtual) life is my message. - Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, March 31, 2011

OpinionHated: A Review

Opinionhated, a short story by Nicholas A. Behrens, has all the elements familiar to your average iAddict.  Scorching chatroom debates that start out pretentious and quickly degrade into profanity and account blocking.

The story revolves around two self proclaimed movie buffs with differing tastes.  One is a horror only fan and an amateur reviewer.  It's his scathing review of Titanic that sets off his soon to be nemesis, 'moviefangrant's initial contact.

This story will be a hit with well versed movie fans that will see themselves in the heated repartee between these two self proclaimed film aficionados.

I have few criticisms for this story; it's an idea that reflects our new online culture.  I was, however, disappointed in the quality of chat between the two fans, as in their chat had too much quality. 

Anyone who has experienced angry typing knows that the quality breaks down almost as fast as your keyboard.  'Net slang was absent, making it hard for me to fully immerse myself in the cyber convos.  There was no 'hang on, afk' or 'brb'.  The author did address this at one point, remarking on how the main character took time to go back and correct his angry mistakes, but they would have made the story more authentic for me personally.

All in all though, I'd like to congratulate Mr. Behrens on a fine first attempt, and hope to see more from this new author.  I recommend OpinionHated for movie fans and anyone whose ever found their humanity devolving in an anonymous chatroom.
My favorite quote:
"The internet has shown that the human race excels at blatant and needless stupidity."

No comments:

Post a Comment