My (virtual) life is my message. - Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, February 14, 2011

Celebrating the Jewelry of Beth Cyr

Last November I received a beautiful gift, a hand crafted necklace created by artist Beth Cyr.  Made with tiny dandelion fluff seeds encased in sterling silver, the necklace reminds me of lazy summer days, wandering aimlessly and making wishes.

I like to think of this necklace as those windblown wishes caught forever and worn next to my heart.  They remind me to slow down and savor life's moments instead of charging through my 'to-do list' days from goal to goal.

Ages ago, just about everything made was a work of art.  Even the most everyday objects had to be created by hand, and without our modern media distractions, people could focus on the aesthetic as well as functional aspects of their work.

Today we are more used to efficient replication then thoughtful creation.  Mass production does have it's place in our information age society, but the visual and mental onslaught of uniformity can begin to numb the brain after too long, making handcrafted items all the more appreciated for their uniqueness.

I certainly appreciate Beth Cyr's unique jewelry.  Celebrating the natural world in precious metals and stone, her creations are gently individualistic.  I love my dandelion fluff pendant not only because it's beautiful, but also because of its rarity.  In all the world there's not another like it.  It is singular like a snowflake, a breath full of wishes caught in a drop of silver.  It is singular like each of us, caught in a moment of time.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for finally making comments possible dandi now I can finly tell you what I think and so far I am really liking your blog.

    ReplyDelete